Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Time to Reflect

Last weekend, I had a wonderful time visiting with friends at the Texas Motor Speedway race. I flew out on Monday.

While at the airport, I heard CNN talking about some shootings at a University in Virginia. I noticed it, and had momentary fleeting sadness at the death of two students.

Upon arrival back in Vegas, I walked into my house to discover CNN had been on all day. My family had been glued to the set for hours. The deaths had numbered 30 at that point, and the word massacre hit me hard.

Sometimes we need a reality check to slap us upside the head. No, I don't know anyone who attends that school. I had no connection to anyone involved in any way. However, I felt similar shock to what happened at Virginia Tech, just as I felt the same shock at the bombings in Oklahoma City, or the death of Jim Jone's followers, the Columbine shootings, or any number of other shocking incidents.

I am shocked at so many young lives suddenly gone. I am shocked at the young man who did this. I have to wonder what actions led to so much hatred and anger. I think of how one person can so negatively impact so many people, and the power he wields even in death. It stuns me.

My deepest sympathies go out to all who are affected. I have no words to console you. No words are adequate to soothe your grief. Just know that I, and a nation, are sending our thoughts your way.

No comments: