Friday, November 28, 2008

NASCAR Ennui!

ennui

Main Entry: en·nui
Pronunciation: än-ˈwē\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Old French enui annoyance, from enuier to vex, from Late Latin inodiare to make loathsome — more at annoy
Date: 1732

: a feeling of weariness and dissatisfaction : boredom

Ennui is the most appropriate word for my feelings as the NASCAR season wound down. I found myself feeling apathetic and tired while watching the last race of the year.

Is it from the suspicion that my favorite driver, David Gilliland, may be looking for a ride soon?

Could it be from watching races that are becoming cookie cutters of each other?

Or, am I suffering from the same feelings that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. proclaimed, of the season being just too long?

Or, am I worn out from watching the same few drivers be the point of discussion all season long?

Or, could I possibly be finding the racing to be not as exciting?

Or, are the Television broadcasters not keeping me riveted to the screen?

Or, am I over-saturated with information, from 6 hours of TV on race day, to internet news, to Sirius radio?

Or, is the economy starting to impress me with the fact that I may not be able to afford to attend as many races as I had scheduled. I had solid plans to attend 4 races next year, but I will be fortunate to actually make it to two races in 2009.

I suspect, all of the above!

No comments: