Thursday, January 01, 2009

The King: The Legacy Ends Here!

Photo property of Snafam, 2009

The news that the world of NASCAR has been fearing has finally happened. It now appears that, after 60 years of the Petty name in our sport, the only remnant of that legacy will be Richard's name. According to many sources, there will be an announcement next week. Lee Spencer, of FoxSports writes:

"Multiple sources have confirmed that after 60 seasons of stock car racing and 10 championships, America's first family of stock car racing will shut its doors and merge with the team currently known as Gillett Evernham Motorsports."


Rumor has it that the new organization will be named Richard Petty Racing. Richard will be the icon, but sadly after seeing the way that Gillett Evernham Motorsports has handled their relationships with Robby Gordon, Ray Evernham, and Elliott Sadler, I know in my heart that the Petty Family Legacy is now done.

We knew this was coming, but we are none the less saddened.

Photo property of Snafam, 2009


I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sweep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"


Lyrics from "Viva La Vida"
by Coldplay

No comments: